Friday, April 14, 2006

Proof I was influenced by Kids in the Hall

A month or more ago, I was referring to someone as "evil" (I think because they were teasing me incessantly), and suddenly realized it was probably a throwback to my days of watching Kids in the Hall (rather than any reference to good versus evil in a philosophical or religious sense; nor to George W. Bush's "axis of evil", attributed to the Canadian speech-writer David Frum).

KITH was a Canadian comedy troupe that had a TV series from 1988-94 (ie., my formative young adult years) and was probably the start of my tradition of watching various comedy shows on CBC (22 Minutes, Air Farce, Rick Mercer). There was a series of sketches on the show about the "Pit of Ultimate Darkness", where the host Sir Simon Milligan and his manservant Hecubus would do things that really weren't all that bad, yet were so proud of themselves for their evilness. There's a transcript of one of the sketches here, but I think you have to see the actual sketch to really get it...

Anyway, today I was reading the paper and came across an article about US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, similar to this article, but the headline in the Journal was "6 Retired US Generals want Rumsfeld gone" - the first thing that popped into my head was the recurring KITH sketch "30 Helens Agree"
30 Helens Agree was a sketch featuring 30 women supposedly named Helen who would all agree on something ridiculous or arbitrary. For example, "Thirty Helens agree: If you have a good idea, you should write it down."

(my scary revelation for the day about the influence of pop culture I guess - probably why I don't watch much TV anymore)

No comments: