Monday, April 10, 2006

I feel like a real cyclist now...

fell off my bike near the end of a really good ride on Saturday, first time out this spring and managed to avoid problems with all the gravel on the roads still and all the cars who aren't used to seeing cyclists out yet, then crashed in front of the house next door to ours. I went over the handlebars I think, hit my head (yay for helmets!), shoulder, elbow, both knees, bent my glasses out of shape, and gashed my knee pretty good.

So, I got to experience the other side of the health-care system. The wait in Emergency isn't as long as all my patients seem to tell me, when you go early evening on a Saturday after a really nice day (i.e., not a time anyone really wants to go see a doctor) - just over 2 hours from when we arrived to when we left. The resident and attending physician were initially concerned that perhaps the laceration had gone into the bursa above the knee, but determined that it hadn't. I got 6 stitches and my tetanus booster (at least I won't have to concern myself with arranging to get that updated later this year now). And my training for the Coronation Triathlon in less than 2 months is on hold for at least a week or two... (which sucks because I had just finally got myself really motivated to start training lots, it finally felt like spring).

So, now 2 days later I'm really stiff and sore, and headachy - weird pressure feeling in my head, feels kind of fuzzy at times, had the afternoon off work anyway so I took a nap, headache got worse trying to sing at my choir rehearsal tonight so I left early ... nothing really severe, but just kind of irritating that I don't feel "right". Hopefully it all settles down in a few more days :-)

(and to put things in perspective, at least it wasn't like pro cyclist George Hincapie whose handlebars broke off in the Paris-Roubaix classic race this weekend, leaving him with a shoulder separation; or Saul Raisin, a young American pro cyclist who crashed last week and is currently in a coma...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good gravy!!! how's the knee now? (and the rest of you, of course!)