Tuesday, June 20, 2006

An interesting word ...

Weltschmertz - Sorrow or sadness over the present or future evils or woes of the world in general; sentimental pessimism.

This word was highly prominent in Canada a few weeks ago, when a local 14 year-old girl came 2nd in the American national spelling bee, misspelling "weltschmertz" to be eliminated. There were complaints via letters to the editor how it was unfair that the Americans could mispronounce "toque", or that they should have given Finola the Americanized pronunciation (w-sound) in addition to the correct/original one (v-sound) - amazing what brings out the conspiracy theorists (the organizers were obviously anti-Canadian, you know).

Last week, I thought about this word (and "ennui") when I was feeling somewhat down and unmotivated to do much of anything ... especially after my leg injury, I was incredibly tired, and was worrying too much about the "woes of the world in general". Maybe it was related to all the rain and cold we had last week too, I don't know - but feeling much better this week, no more weltschmertz nor ennui :-).

(and I was able to run today for just over 20 minutes, with only a few twinges and slight aching from my left lower leg that was injured ... so I should at least be able to manage the 5 km run in the triathlon on Sunday, even if then I can't run afterwards for another while).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right on with who I am. Only manage to see the first 15 mins. of Game seven and by the time we got home it was 3 - 1 and our goalie was out his net already.
I sure can relate with your word of the day and am sorry to hear that you were feeling down the last while because of your injury. (BTW best of luck in your triathalon this week; our older son is having his Black belt tryout tomorrow evening so send us some good karma.) :-)
I'll try to send you some real e-mail over the weekend when I should be in the house longer. (TKD and two boys and their activities take up a lot of time.)
As before thank you for the wonderful blog it is so refreshing to see this and remember a world that is not centered around the war in Iraq; who will be the next governor; and the many odd people I must deal with on a daily basis. Take care for now.