Friday, December 02, 2005

Why I like to read

Some recent gems I've noted in my local paper and other sources, I wish I could write like this:

Todd Babiak, in an Edmonton Journal review of the Grey Cup halftime show the other day:
The Grey Cup is one of few national traditions we have left, along with doing poorly in the Olympics and voting for idiots.

Dan Barnes
, in the Journal Sports section today, about Gilles Duceppe's idea that Quebec should get its own hockey team for international tournaments:
Hockey, strangely enough, acts as the catalyst that brings all Canadians together, regardless of linguistic preference and proficiency, in their love of the game and disdain for Todd Bertuzzi. And Sean Avery. And the Bruins' third jersey.
He went on to refer to "the official language of hockey, a mix of cliches and expletives".

And Monte Solberg weighs in on the Joe Thornton trade (you'd think Monte had other things to do, like campaign or something, he's only the Opposition Finance Critic...):
Trade Joe Thornton?
Sure why not, and why don't you also just pull my heart from my chest and tap dance on it.
I'd be less shocked if you went to the fireplace, grabbed the poker and stroked me across the forehead.
Let's see here. Joe is the heart of the Bruins, and I bleed Bruin gold and black, all of which explains why I am laying in the fetal position on the floor in my furnace room, right beside the pile of oily rags. Say it aint so Joe.
In his next entry (back to campaigning), he mentions the trade again,
But I had a good three or four minutes of sleep and now feel like I could run to Boston where I would like to track down Harry Sinden and Mike O'Connell and peel them both like bananas.
Finally, from Inkless Wells , it seems politicians are missing the real issues - dog-attacking squirrels in Russia.

No comments: