Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I was sad yesterday...

The "Ultimate Hockey Mom" (as our local paper put it), Phyllis Gretzky, passed away the other day from complications of cancer, and I was sad yesterday. It makes you realize how important Gretzky (or hockey in general?) is to Canadians when we all seem to care so much about his family too... (though I recall one of the comedy shows joking about this a while back, probably when there was the TV movie about Wayne's dad, just can't find the clip).

I think yesterday was also my annual "feel guilty at Christmas because we have so much and others have so little, so why are we buying more stuff"-ruminations; normally I guess I'm busy working and don't have so much time to think about it. It's typically the time when I wonder if I should instead be going to a Third World country to do volunteer work or to change my life in some such meaningful way ... but I never do. (well, I guess I changed my life by vowing never to be so busy again at work that I can't keep in touch with friends and family, that's meaningful).

And I'm a bit angry today - looks good for Canada around the world, doesn't it, when a guy who nearly killed another player gets selected for the Olympic team, way to go Bert.

No comments: