Monday, November 07, 2005

I went to Wal-Mart...

This may not seem like such a notable item, but I usually avoid Wal-Mart for a number of reasons (both philosophical- eg. destroying the smaller stores, questionable labour practices); and also personal preference - I don't like really really big stores, that's why I usually avoid Superstore as well). But I needed something and Ed said that Wal-Mart would be a good place to get it, so I went there.

The closest Wal-Mart actually moved earlier this year, and I haven't been in to the new location at all yet - it was huge! Definitely would have a case of sensory and information overload if I had to spend much time there (though I'm sure you could find anything you needed, true "one-stop shopping", I didn't realize how large a grocery section they have) - luckily I was able to find what I needed quickly and get out. Was I really naive to expect an express line at Wal-Mart? (because there wasn't one). Does that mean that people come expecting to buy lots, or that they generally get sucked into buying lots even if they didn't intend to?

And in the end, the item I needed was the same price as it would have been elsewhere, or even more expensive if you consider that it's often on sale elsewhere and wasn't at Wal-Mart. So, I guess I won't be back anytime soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cashiers with the shortest lines - ya gotta go deep!!!! The tills on the end never have more than 3 or 4 people in the lineup!!!

Wal-Mart rookies... sheesh

guidemd said...

I *did* go deep - and the person 2 in front of me at the till had a screaming/wandering kid, had to go check whether she bought the right socks, etc. etc.