Sunday, August 27, 2006

Riding riding riding

That's what we did today, lots of riding - 60 km and over 3.5 hours, all the way to Rundle Park and back. A great way to spend the last Sunday afternoon of August when it's sunny and 25 C (knowing that winter's probably coming all too soon). Here's our route map in red, courtesy of Google (with a driving suggestion in blue, though I'd never actually drive that way to Rundle - I'd go up Henday to Yellowhead as it's much more direct) - click on it to see a larger version:

Only change in route was that we crossed over to Gold Bar Park going and stayed entirely on the north side of the river coming back. Lots of areas that I'd only seen on the map and never actually been to, like Rossdale, the Brickyard subdivision in Riverdale, Dawson Park, and most of Ada Boulevard.

This was my longest ever ride, topping last week's ride of almost 45 km to the University then the long way home via Snow Valley and a detour in behind Fort Edmonton. We also detoured slightly last week to Sue's to see the rock she put in her front yard (in memory of Darryl) - wow, it *is* big!

The other day I saw that the City is running various "Masters Training sessions" for free next month, I guess a follow-up to last year's World Masters Games - there was a Women's Road Cycling clinic with Alex Stieda, the first North American cyclist to wear the yellow jersey in the Tour de France (in 1986, good story about it here). So I signed up - I see that the men's clinic plus several others (triathlon, swimming) were already full. Stieda runs weekend skills camps in various locations (Banff, Jasper, Whistler, etc.) plus tours to the Tour de France, so even if it's just short I figure it will probably be useful - especially since it's free!

No comments: