Sunday, July 24, 2005

World Masters Games right here in Edmonton - and Triathlon World Cup.

I've spent a lot of my weekend at the opening ceremonies and my husband's volleyball games at the 2005 World Masters Games, currently taking place here in Edmonton. It was really a neat experience seeing so many people coming here to participate. I had seriously contemplated entering the sprint triathlon, but in the end was reluctant to have my first open-water swim in Hawrelak Park's lake/pond and at such a large event. In the end, it was so windy yesterday for the triathlon I was glad I was only a spectator for the Masters Games.

I did go down to watch the World Cup triathlons, as last year we were gypped out of a men's triathlon by the freak hailstorm and flooding (last year it took several hours to get home from Hawrelak Park on our bikes, mostly had to walk through knee or even thigh-deep hail while pushing/carrying the bikes). My favourites did pretty good overall:
Emma Snowsill (AUS)- 1st in the women's
Laura Bennett (USA) - 4th
Sam McGlone (CAN) - caught Morrison for 6th on the run

Greg Bennett (AUS) - 4th in the men's
Simon Whitfield (CAN) - 2nd best run for 9th overall

No comments: