Thursday, January 19, 2006

My yearly brush with the elite ...

When I was in my 3rd year of undergrad at the U of A, I won an award called the Peter Lougheed scholarship (named after the premier of Alberta from 1971-1985, who is said to be one of Alberta's greatest leaders for his foresight in establishing the Heritage Savings Trust Fund and for his stand against the federal government's National Energy Program, among other achievements). Every year, there is a luncheon at the Faculty Club to honour the new scholarship recipients and they invite back former recipients (like me).

So, today I ate lunch sitting next to the Dean of Arts and one of the university's senior fundraising officers, with the Honourable Peter Lougheed and new university president Dr. Indira Samarasekera also at the same table (this is only the second or maybe third time I've been seated at the same table as Mr. Lougheed). It's always interesting to hear his comments. There was also some interesting political discussion with the election in only a few more days - overall an enjoyable lunch.

No comments: